- HEAVY! Dear God it was heavy. I didn't weigh it before i tossed it but it had to weight close to 10 pounds and it wasn't even a hammer drill!
- Battery life! Sure it started out great but within a year the battery lasted maybe a few long screws and it was done and it gradually died during use.
- Fatigue! Since it was so heavy and large just using it became tough especially when doing overhead work or extended drilling.
When I decided it was time to switch to something newer I did a bit of research and while the likes of Festool far exceeded my budget i didn't exactly want to settle with something bottom of the barrel either. I had in mind several check list items of which I've listed below.
- Light weight! No more fatigue on long projects or drivings lots of screws!
- Battery life!
- Quick Charging fr those times when I'm just tripping through screws and such.
- Compact- I didn't want anything huge.
- Power... nothing crazy since I wouldn't be doing anything too crazy but enough to drive those 3" lag screws when necessary.
After looking around at the various different options I settled on the Dewalt 12V Max driver/drill/impact combo. I've pasted the specs for the drivers and drill below.
- Includes 1/4-in screwdriver, 1/4-in impact driver, 3/8-in drill/driver, 2 12-volt max Li-ion batteries, fast charger, 2 bit tips, 3 belt hooks and contractor bag
- 3/8-in drill/driver offers a 2-speed transmission for high-speed in fastening and drilling through a variety of materials with 0-400 and 0-1,500 RPM
- 1/4-in impact driver features 3 LED lights for increased visibility and shadow-free lighting
- 12-volt max screwdriver features 1/4-in 1-hand loading hex chuck for easy bit changes
- 12-volt max Li-ion batteries provide extended run time and long-lasting battery life; nominal voltage 10.8-volt, 12-volt max initial battery voltage
- Li-ion batteries are backed by a 3-year limited warranty
- 30-minute charger provides quick charging for minimum downtime
- All tools include belt clip and weigh less than 2.4 lbs each for convenient carrying and easy portability
Here is a nice shiny picture of them new...